Request

To my cover-exchanging friends, please try as much as possible to
(1) WRITE THE ADDRESSES USING YOUR OWN HANDWRITING
as these give a more personal touch to the cover
(2) PLEASE DO NOT USE TAPE OR STICKERS ON THE REVERSE;
the Philippine postal service damages the cover with scribbling that highly devalues the aesthetic value of the cover, which is what I am after
(3) PLEASE TRY TO USE COMPLETE SETS
or at least same themes when sending covers, but it is okay if this is not possible or if this would be expensive, and
(4) PLEASE USE SMALL ENVELOPES,
not too small, but maybe around 4"x6" or something like that; big envelopes are not very attractive unless they have many stamps.
Thank you!

23.7.08

Australia



Above we have a size 10 envelope from Australia with a panel of 6 stamps, 6 of which have postage value. These three stamps are part of a set of five issued on 12 Sep 2007. The stamps collectively depict the major botanic gardens from across Australia - Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney.



I was quite surprised to learn while researching on these stamps that, according to some studies, more than forty percent of all Australians over the age of 15 visit at least one botanic garden every year and that going to the botanic gardens are second only to cinemas in terms of cultural venues! Australians must really love gardens!

Actually, being the nature lover that I am, I myself like gardens and gardening. I've been been to Butchart in Victoria, BC, Canada, which is quite breathtaking and relaxing to the eye, as well as the National Orchid Garden in Singapore, which is also nice. I have yet to visit Australia and have admittedly never heard of the Australian botanic gardens (as I am not a garden enthusiast), but judging from the stamps, I understand why quite a large sum of Australians still visit these places in this day and age when most confine themselves to the comforts of their couch or desktop. I do hope to one day visit these gardens and take in the sights myself. Gardens offer a sense of inner peace and tranquility and I really think I need some of that!

Going back to the stamps, the cover was postmarked at Fairfield, a suburb 29 km west of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, on the 23rd of April 2008.

No comments: