Request

To my cover-exchanging friends, please try as much as possible to
(1) WRITE THE ADDRESSES USING YOUR OWN HANDWRITING
as these give a more personal touch to the cover
(2) PLEASE DO NOT USE TAPE OR STICKERS ON THE REVERSE;
the Philippine postal service damages the cover with scribbling that highly devalues the aesthetic value of the cover, which is what I am after
(3) PLEASE TRY TO USE COMPLETE SETS
or at least same themes when sending covers, but it is okay if this is not possible or if this would be expensive, and
(4) PLEASE USE SMALL ENVELOPES,
not too small, but maybe around 4"x6" or something like that; big envelopes are not very attractive unless they have many stamps.
Thank you!

5.10.08

Deutschland



Here is a rather thoughtful cover from sent from Dresden, Germany, although I admittedly do not know the sender personally since I received this as part of a circuit. I say it is thoughtful because it has three of the four greetings stamps issued by Germany (two were issued 7 Feb and the other two on 8 May) for its contribution to the Europa CEPT series, which this year has the theme of letter writing. According to the Desutshe Post website, these stamps wre issued because they express the true purpose of writing a [personal] letter, which is that of greeting the recipient.

In this case, the sender greets me "Danke = Thanks," "Alles Gute! = Wishing you well!," and "Herzliche Grüße = Cordial Greetings." I wish the same for you too, sender.

As for the cheerful designs, they are those of American pop art artist James Rizzi.

2 comments:

Alexander said...

You're right. Actually there was a campaign called "Schreib mal wieder" (http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/05/8d/31e3_1_sbl.JPG) in Germany which wanted the Germans to start writing letters again like in the good old times and not using web 2.0 bullshit like blogs, facebook and e-mail. I'm not sure about the success of this campaign ;-). But I like the five finger guy.

Myron said...

I don't think any campaign can save the stamps! :((

And I don't think people will be excited by the idea of waiting more than 5 minutes to hear back from their friends....

Darn internet.

Then again, I wouldn't have met these people who exchange stamps with me had it not been for the internet......