Request

To my cover-exchanging friends, please try as much as possible to
(1) WRITE THE ADDRESSES USING YOUR OWN HANDWRITING
as these give a more personal touch to the cover
(2) PLEASE DO NOT USE TAPE OR STICKERS ON THE REVERSE;
the Philippine postal service damages the cover with scribbling that highly devalues the aesthetic value of the cover, which is what I am after
(3) PLEASE TRY TO USE COMPLETE SETS
or at least same themes when sending covers, but it is okay if this is not possible or if this would be expensive, and
(4) PLEASE USE SMALL ENVELOPES,
not too small, but maybe around 4"x6" or something like that; big envelopes are not very attractive unless they have many stamps.
Thank you!

7.2.09

Монгол улс (Mongolia)



Here is my first cover from Mongolia, which I wasn't even expecting! Although it is rather boring and not of much aesthetic value, I think it's a good start. What surprises me is that the stamp used on the cover seems very much like your average CTO stampsand I wouldn't have thought twice about classifying it as one had it not been used on this cover.

The postmark is also not all that great; the date is unintelligible and all I could make out was the word "Mongol" written in the Russian alphabet (Russian since there is a strong Russian influence in the country's history).

The Mongolian characters for Mongolia are shown below:



I do not feel like looking deeper into the theme and exploring the story behind since I feel there is a lack thereof, considering that the 1909 Packard probably did not have much to do with Mongolian history and culture.

This time, I think it would suffice just to celebrate the fact that I have received a cover from an exotic location!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Packards were the first cars to come to Mongolia.
I believe one of them was used by last king of Mongolia Bogd Khan.
Cheers,
Bat.