Request

To my cover-exchanging friends, please try as much as possible to
(1) WRITE THE ADDRESSES USING YOUR OWN HANDWRITING
as these give a more personal touch to the cover
(2) PLEASE DO NOT USE TAPE OR STICKERS ON THE REVERSE;
the Philippine postal service damages the cover with scribbling that highly devalues the aesthetic value of the cover, which is what I am after
(3) PLEASE TRY TO USE COMPLETE SETS
or at least same themes when sending covers, but it is okay if this is not possible or if this would be expensive, and
(4) PLEASE USE SMALL ENVELOPES,
not too small, but maybe around 4"x6" or something like that; big envelopes are not very attractive unless they have many stamps.
Thank you!

20.3.09

الجزائر (Algeria)



My first cover from Algeria!

As I am not really a fan of flora and fauna, I'll just focus on some trivia about the country:

Algeria is a country located in North Africa. It is the largest country of the Mediterranean sea, second largest in the Arab World, and the second largest on the African continent and the eleventh largest country in the world in terms of land area.

Its name in Arabic is "Al-jazā’ir," which was taken from the city's older name of jazā’ir banī mazghannā, the Arabic for "the islands of (the tribe) Ait Mazghanna," which was used by early Arab cartographers.

Pictures of Algeria that can be found on the net (click here) give a very good impression of the country, and I think Algeria will definitely be one of the countries I will visit if ever I go to Africa!

And a note on the cover: notice how the postal worker positioned the registration sticker in a diagonal position, as if s/he were trying to cover the bird design! I take it that the postal worker must hate birds then?

No comments: